Monday, September 17, 2007

Craziest Interviews

Interview 1

Interviewer: If we give you a module which consists of new technology, how will you proceed with it?
My answer: I will first understand the module and learns the technology and develops the code after doing design ASAP.

Interviewer: What will you do if we give you one day for doing all this?
My answer: I will do it one day.

Interviewer: What will you do if you are not able to complete in one day?
My answer: If the work is not getting completed after end of the day, I will request for some more time.

Interviewer: What if we insist you to complete it on the same day?
My answer: I will spend 24 hrs and complete it. I am ready to cook food at office and work as if I am working in call center. (I am getting irritation at this point).

Interviewer: What will you do if no documentation is available for this new technology?
My answer: I will ask for knowledge transfer from my seniors.

Interviewer: What will you do if no one had worked on this technology before?
My answer: I will request for some more time to acquire knowledge and complete the work.

Interviewer: What if we force you to complete the work in one day without documentation, support?
My answer: If you can at least give me a computer to do things, I know how to do it without documentation, support and time.

Is it really worth asking this kind of questions? What a person can do if he needs to work on new technology, with no documentation, no support and no time? I am not God, of course, I am developer. Am I wrong with my answers?

Interview 2

Interviewer: If we give you a module which consists of new technology, how will you proceed with it?
My answer: Learn technology on the fly..(as is expected from today’s IT professionals) as soon as possible and understand the module. If possible I would like to get trained in that technology if training provided by company.

Interviewer: What will you do if we give you one day for doing all this?
My answer: I will estimate the ETC(Estimated time of completion) and if I think the time given is less than my estimated time I will inform you and try and extend the ETC.

Interviewer: What will you do if you are not able to complete in one day?
My answer: My first priority to complete the task with in the ETC if I am not able to complete within that time my attemp would be to get it done ASAP without further extending the ETC any longer. Also I would inform about this extended ETC to the concerned authority I am reporting to.

Interviewer: What if we insist you to complete it on the same day?
My answer: To be honest if I am not able to deliver on time I would prefer to inform you in advance that the expected time of completion does not match with my estimated ETC rather than accepting do deliver and later failing to do so.

Interviewer: What will you do if no documentation is available for this new technology?
My answer: Now this is a stupid question. A new technology with no documentation?

Interviewer: What will you do if no one had worked on this technology before?
My answer: Take it as a good learning experience and I think it is always good to work on the latest technology.

Interviewer: What if we force you to complete the work in one day without documentation, support?
My answer: I will try my best given all above facts!

Interview 3

Interviewer: If we give you a module which consists of new technology, how will you proceed with it?
My answer: I'll review the requirements for the module, learn the technology and then confirm that it's the correct technology for job. Very often new technology is overused because it's "cool" even when not appropriate, this called the "new buzzsaw" problem, somewhat akin to the "golden hammer" problem.

Interviewer: What will you do if we give you one day for doing all this?
My answer: Hope that it takes a day to complete. I'll provide an estimate at the start and if I think it will be longer than one day, I'll let you know.

Interviewer: What will you do if you are not able to complete in one day?
My answer: If it's because I'm incapable of completing it in one day but believe that some else could, likely sometime in the early afternoon I'll realize this and ask for help. If it's not realistic for anyone to complete it in one day, then I will raise the concern along with my estimate.

Interviewer: What if we insist you to complete it on the same day?
My answer: There is a principle called the engineering triangle consisting of time, resources, and scope. You can pick any two. Here you are trying to contrain all three and that is not realistic. I would address the issue of constraints with the appropriate party.

Interviewer: What will you do if no documentation is available for this new technology?
My answer: Seek out information, from the web, or from others both inside the company and out. I would also raise a concern about using undocumented technology.

Interviewer: What will you do if you can't find any information on this technology? (Note: I changed the wording to be equivalently responsive to my prior answer.)
My answer: I will seriously question the desire to use the technology in light of this limitation. If we must, then I will make sure we include learning time in the estimate. I will also look for other ways to reduce risk in the project to trade-off the increased technology risk.

Interviewer: What if we force you to complete the work in one day without documentation, support?
My answer: I'd probably deliver a substandard product and would quit over my frustration with the incompetent management.

Interview 4
Interviewer:What if i ask you to work on new technology?
Me:It will be nice to have exposure to new technology.(I will have another thing to brag about in my resume.)

Interviewer:What if there is not any support/documentation?
Me:I can still do it. In my previous project i was working alone(Because nobody was able to understand what i said, and i was not able to interpret what was written in documentation).

Interviewer:What if there is only 24 Hr time?
Me: So what? I can still deliver it.(Then it will be your headache to listen to client's complains) You see, the mighty aussies, after 5 back to back defeats, they are going to World Cup without any time to improve.

Interviewer:What???? They lost the last match also???
Me: Not yet..Game is in progress.. Its a close match.Can go either way.

Interviewer:My God!!! What has happened to ausies?
Me: Dunno..may be they were getting bored of winning every time.

Interviewer:So what's the score?
Me: last 5 overs remaining New Zealand need 40 runs ..blah blah blah..

Interviewer:Which site do you see the live scorecard?
Me: espnstar.com

Interviewer: Damn ... espnstar.com is blocked in my office. Cant even track the score once i am in the office.
Me:What espnstar.com is blocked in your office? Damn!!! I guess we should end here.

Interviewer: Ya you wont like in here. By the way is there any position open with your current employer?
Me: Ohh yes...why not they are looking for.....blah blah blah... Ok so tell me what would you do if your manager gives you unrealistic deadlines, no support, non-sufficient resources etc etc....

Interviewer:Ummm.. thats a real tricky one...